Today we have to consider the next product of German origin, which is manufactured by Bewital - wet food for cats Leonardo. We are already familiar with the dry food of this brand, and it didn’t really please us. Maybe canned food will change our minds about the Leonardo brand?
Leonardo wet foods are packaged in sealed metal cans of 200 and 400 g, as well as 85 g packs. The packaging design is designed in the same style as dry foods of the same name.
Only 5 flavor variations. According to the manufacturer, the feed does not contain grain and is made in accordance with the physiology of cats - from animal products.
- Kitten - for kittens.
- Pure Poultry - with poultry.
- Rich in liver - with liver.
- Rich in ocean fish - with ocean fish.
- Rich in rabbit - with a rabbit.
The composition for analysis was taken from the official website in English and translated literally. Canned foods do not contain cereals, soybeans, gluten, artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Kitten : meat and animal offal (total 65%, of which poultry 40%, beef 25%, meat broth 29.5%), eggs and egg products (whole egg 4%), minerals 1%, oils and fats (butter salmon 0.5%).
- Pure Poultry : meat and animal offal (65% of poultry, poultry broth 34%), minerals 1%.
- Rich in liver : meat and animal offal (65%, of which 25% are liver and meat broth 34%), minerals 1%.
- Rich in ocean fish : meat and animal offal (40% and meat broth 34%), fish and fish offal (25% ocean fish), minerals 1%.
- Rich in rabbit : meat and animal offal (65%, of which 25% rabbit and meat broth 34%), minerals 1%.
Unfortunately, most ingredients have no specifics.
- Only beef does not raise questions, since in this case we are talking about muscle tissues, and with a rabbit, in principle, everything is clear - the whole carcass was used in the feed, without giblets, but possibly with skin, cartilage and bones.
- A whole egg is also a fairly high-quality product.
- Poultry, ocean fish - under these names lies a certain mixture of raw carcasses and individual parts, without signs of decomposition, without offal, heads, paws, scales, fins. However, the raw materials of this component can vary from batch to batch, and it is impossible to reliably determine its quality and nutritional value.
- Meat broth and liver - it is not known from which raw material the broth was obtained, and the animal does not indicate the liver, it can be either beef or chicken, or some other. Meat broth can be a good source of moisture and a natural flavor that increases the attractiveness of feed, but it cannot be considered a complete source of animal protein.
- The amount of salmon oil indicated in the kitten food is very small, and one can hardly expect real benefits for cat health from it.
- Protein: 10-10.5%.
- Fat: 5-5.5%.
- Ash: 2%.
- Fiber: 0.3%.
- Moisture: 79-80%.
The ratio of calcium-phosphorus on the official website is not indicated. The food contains taurine and other minerals.
Leonardo’s canned goods evoke mixed feelings - on the one hand, it’s pleasing that the food does not contain any cereals, no-name thickeners, jellifiers, flavorings, or preservatives, and its guaranteed analysis generally corresponds to a full-ration product. And on the other hand, the composition of the trust itself does not cause trust, since the vast majority of the true raw materials are unknown.
Of course, Leonardo’s canned food is better than any economy and premium food in composition, and the average price of 110 rubles per can of 200 grams is quite high, but it’s better to pay attention to canned food with a more detailed composition.
Maybe Leonardo’s spiders will please us?
The line of spiders has a wider range, it has 12 types. Let's immediately look at the compositions of the spiders:
Calf + Vegetables - calf heart, lungs, kidneys (36.5%), poultry meat, heart, liver (30%), veal meat broth, poultry (28.3%), carrots (4%), dried eggshell (0.5%), minerals (0.5%), salmon oil (0.2%).
- In the first place, by-products obtained from veal are a very rare component of animal feed, because the purchase price of calf meat is higher than that of beef and much more expensive than chicken. Therefore, it is understandable that there is no veal as such in the feed, the question is - why not call the spider “veal offal and vegetables”? There is such a touch of easy deception in the name of the product, and this is not very pleasant. However, calf entrails are no less valuable.
- The kidneys and heart belong to the offal of the first category, they contain a large amount of animal protein and almost do not contain fat. The kidneys are enriched with selenium, and the heart - with iron and copper. Lungs belong to the second category, but contain a large amount of collagen, useful for joints.
- Veal broth can hardly be considered a complete source of protein, but it is a good natural flavor enhancer.
- The hodgepodge of poultry meat is somewhat depressing, although we are talking about muscle tissue. However, the exact animal affiliation of this component is in question. Also present in the feed is the heart and liver of poultry.
- Some carrots have been added as a source of coarse plant fiber - they will help regulate digestion. Dried egg shells are a natural source of easily digestible calcium.
- But salmon oils were regretted - its mass fraction is so small that one can hardly expect any real benefits from it.
Duck + Cheese - duck meat, liver, heart (30%), chicken heart, liver (28.5%), duck, chicken, beef broth (28.3%), light beef (8%), cheese cubes ( 4%), minerals (1%), salmon oil (0.2%).
- Duck meat and its offal is a great option for animals suffering from food allergies . Duck protein is rich in its unique amino acid composition and is well absorbed by cats.
- Chicken giblets are more allergenic, but they have good nutritional value and contain little fat with a high amount of protein.
- The broth will increase the palatability of the feed and satisfy the animal's need for life-giving moisture, beef lung is an excellent source of collagen.
- It is interesting that the cheese in the composition is indicated in the form of cubes - although the cheese variety is unknown to us, and even the cheese for cats is oily, you should not be afraid of it - only 4% will not harm the animal, but most likely such a feed will interest a picky, selective cat.
Fish & Shrimp - salmon (30%), herring, salmon, shrimp broth (29.3%), herring (18%), shrimp (12%), poultry liver (10%), minerals (0.5% ), salmon oil (0.2%).
- Salmon in the feed is most likely a fresh or thawed carcass, with no signs of decomposition. This fish is very valuable - in fact, with a modest amount of fat, it contains a lot of easily digestible protein and essential omega-3 fatty acids.
- The food will surely appeal to cats who like to feast on fish - a broth made of herring, salmon and shrimp will give the product an attractive taste and aroma.
- Herring is one of the fattest fish, with a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids (but of course, subject to high quality raw materials).
- Shrimps are very valuable crustaceans, and quite expensive, so their mass fraction in animals is small. From the name it is not known what type of shrimp is present in the feed, but nevertheless, the shrimp contains a breakthrough of iodine, sodium and phosphorus, in addition, they are a high-protein product, being virtually fat-free.
- Poultry liver is not the worst ingredient, but we do not know from which particular bird it was obtained, which somewhat undermines the credibility of this component.
Kangaroo + Catnip - kangaroo meat, heart, liver, lungs, kidneys (30%), chicken, liver, heart (30%), kangaroo, chicken, beef broth (28.7%), light beef (10%) , minerals (1%), salmon oil (0.2%), catnip (0.1%).
- One can’t but discuss such an exotic type of meat as kenguryatina - a rather rare ingredient in animal feed (Australian feed, where this meat is often purchased specifically for pet food). Kenguryatina and its by-products have antioxidant and anticarcinogenic properties and are considered environmentally friendly, hypoallergenic products.
- Chicken and offal are more allergenic, but this is the most affordable and high quality raw material for feed.
- As a natural flavoring, kangaroo, chicken and beef broth was used.
- Beef lung is a good low-fat source of animal protein and collagen.
- A little catnip as seasoning will not hurt the cat. Although it seems to us that most cats will like such food without mint.
Kitten Poultry - poultry meat, heart, liver, stomach (70%), poultry broth (29.1%), minerals (0.5%), salmon oil (0.4%).
- And again, our "favorite" poultry, its giblets and broth are a mixture of raw gutted carcasses with skin. It happens worse, of course, although a little specificity would not hurt. But 70% of more or less designated meat and meat offal, you know, are worth a lot. But without beaks and hooves!
- Salmon oil is not enough, for the younger feline generation they could have become generous.
Lamb + Cranberries - lamb meat, heart, liver, lung, kidneys (36.5%), poultry meat, heart, liver (30%), lamb and poultry meat broth (28.3%), cranberries (4 %), dried eggshell (0.5%), minerals (0.5%), salmon oil (0.2%).
- Lamb is an integral part of the diet for allergic animals, as well as pets with problem digestion. An excellent low-calorie source of protein and essential amino acids. Also in the feed there are repeatedly discussed above poultry and broth.
- Cranberries are assigned many properties that prevent urolithiasis , although such an effect has not been scientifically proven.
- Egg shells are a natural source of calcium and other beneficial substances.
Meat Menu - chicken, liver, stomach (29%), beef, heart (29%), chicken, beef, lamb broth (29.3%), light lamb (12%), minerals (0.5% ), salmon oil (0.2%).
- This spider is based on chicken - meat and entrails, as well as similar beef products. These are high-quality sources of complete protein and healthy amino acids - no complaints.
- The broth will add palatability and serve as a good source of water.
- Lamb's lungs are a gentle and dietary product in which there is practically no fat, but there is a lot of protein and collagen useful for joints.
Poultry + Egg - poultry meat, heart, liver (60%), poultry, beef broth (28.3%), beef lung (6.5%), whole egg (4%), minerals (1%) salmon oil (0.2%).
- Again, the meat of unidentified poultry and its gutting, decoction of it and beef, and beef light. It’s good that we are still talking about muscle tissue, and offal is not bad.
- A whole egg is the default protein and yolk of a chicken egg - the most nutritious and highly digestible source of animal protein and healthy amino acids.
Pure Beef - beef, heart, lung, liver, kidneys (70%), beef broth (29.3%), minerals (0.5%), salmon oil (0.2%).
This spider consists of 70% of beef and beef offal of category 1 and 2, plus 29.3% of flavored beef broth. The components are quite high quality. We can only find fault with the fact that the mass fraction of each ingredient is not written, only the general is indicated.
Pure Chicken - chicken, heart, liver, stomach (70%), chicken stock (29.3%), minerals (0.5%), salmon oil (0.2%).
An ideal spider for lovers to feast on a chicken - its meat and offal is here 70%. The situation is similar to the previous spider with beef: the total share of chicken products is indicated, and how much is in the feed - one can only guess.
Rabbit + Cranberries - rabbit meat, heart, liver, lungs, kidneys (30%), chicken, liver, heart (30%), rabbit, chicken, beef broth (28.3%), beef lung (6.5 %), cranberries (4%), minerals (1%), salmon oil (0.2%).
- Rabbit is the healthiest and most dietary alternative to chicken and beef. Its tender meat contains a huge amount of high-grade protein, healthy amino acids and low fat. The same can be said of rabbit offal.
- The rabbit is complemented by a delicious multi-meat broth and beef lung, in which there is a lot of protein and collagen.
- The food is slightly “seasoned” with cranberries, which possibly acidifies the urine in a natural way, although its healing functions are in question.
Trout + Catnip - trout (30%), chicken heart, liver (30%), trout, chicken, beef broth (28.7%), light beef (10%), minerals (1%), salmon oil (0 , 2%), catnip (0.1%).
- Trout is not so common in animal feed - the fish is not cheap, but certainly useful. There is little fat in it, and the one that is is enriched with useful fatty Omega-3 acids, and its protein is well absorbed by cats.
- The fish is complemented with valuable chicken giblets and flavored with aromatic broth. Beef lung is an additional source of animal protein and beneficial collagen.
- A pinch of catnip will appeal to cats that go crazy over it, and it won’t harm those for whom it’s of no interest.
As you can see, the situation is much more transparent than in canned food. Yes, of course, not every component has an indication of the percentage, the producer is cunning when it combines meat with offal and indicates their total content in the feed. But we see animal components, designated as meat, offal is no longer an incomprehensible mess - we clearly see where the kidneys, where the lungs, where the liver. Please note that the offal is quite high quality and nutritious. We also see what the broth is cooked from - of course, most likely it was cooked from carcasses with pits.
Salmon oil is present in all spiders, here the situation is the same as in canned food - its mass fraction is too small to expect real benefits from it. In addition, it is not indicated how the fat was preserved - perhaps this is vitamin E, which is present in the mineral composition.
Skepticism is also caused by cranberries and catnip in the composition.
- Cranberries are attributed by many properties that acidify urine and contribute to the prevention of urolithiasis, although this fact has not been scientifically proven.
- And we don’t like the presence of catnip in principle, although in a small amount it is safe for cats and added as a seasoning, but a large number of meat components by themselves perfectly attract a cat, and you can completely do without mint.
- Protein: 10.6-11.5%.
- Fat: 4.5-7%.
- Ash: 1.9-2.4%.
- Fiber: 0.3%.
- Moisture: 79-81%.
The Ca / P ratio is not indicated on the official website, it may be present on the package. The mineral composition is also indicated.
Well, it should be recognized that Leonardo spiders turned out to be a pleasant, solid product. The high content of animal ingredients, the absence of thickeners, cereals and other low-quality components pleased us very much. The guaranteed analysis corresponds to a complete ration, that is, you can supplement these spiders with dry food, or you can use them as the main nutrition.
Cat Obormot recommends Leonardo spiders, but we recommend that you use caution.