The Hills Feline cat food line is a premium (according to some sources - super-premium) class . Conventionally, they can be divided into two large groups:
- dry food and wet canned food for healthy cats, suitable for a daily menu;
- a medical line of feeds, both dry and canned, for cats with various diseases.
As a rule, medicinal feeds are prescribed by veterinarians as the most suitable diet for certain diseases. However, the owner, who knows his pet well, can choose the right food on his own, as the Hills packaging always indicates which cat is suitable for cats (with a sensitive stomach, for neutered cats, etc.).
It is not recommended to feed a healthy animal with medicinal feeds - for example, a diet for a cat with gastritis should contain much less protein, so it will not work for a healthy pet.
Unfortunately, the daily feed of the Hills is seriously inferior in quality and composition to the nutritional benefits of the same company. Many felinologists and veterinarians advise you to buy super-premium feed for healthy animals, and preferably a holistic class. But the Hills treatment line practically does not cause any complaints and can really save the life of a sick pet (of course, along with the necessary medicines and veterinary care).
The advantages of this brand of cat food
- Reasonable prices.
- One of the best premium feeds is significantly more beneficial for a cat than lower quality feeds like Kiticket and Whiskas.
- For many animals, not too picky and sensitive, this food is great.
- The content of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus is perfectly balanced.
- The composition on the feed packaging is described in detail.
- Great food for kittens.
- Professional medicinal feed, truly super-premium quality.
- Very often in small pet stores Hills - this is the best that is in stock.
Cons of this brand
- Too high a percentage of vegetable protein that is not very beneficial for cats.
- The food contains a lot of carbohydrates that are poorly processed by the cat's body (cereals, corn gluten, etc.).
- In many animals, it causes allergies.
- Owners of cats note that when using the Hills food, an unpleasant smell of animal excrement is intensified, which can be an alarming signal of intestinal problems.
- Wet feed of this company is inferior in quality to dry.
It is very important to understand that each animal needs an individual approach: one cat can feel fine eating Hills, the other will begin to have health problems. Therefore, when offering a cat a new food, monitor its condition, and after a week or two hand it over to a veterinary clinic - by their results it will be clear how the food is absorbed.
Please note: For several years, the production of feed Hills appeared in Russia. This fact causes a real panic among the owners, as a sharp drop in feed quality and a huge number of cheap fakes are expected. So the quality of the feed really depends on the country in which it is produced - see the codes on the packages. It still turned out to be rumors, but to carefully study the packaging would not be superfluous!
Which feed hills will suit my cat?
- For kittens: Hills Science Plan Kitten Chicken (for kittens, with chicken), Hills Science Plan Kitten Tuna (for kittens, with tuna), Nature Best Kitten with Chicken (for kittens, with chicken and vegetables).
- For young castrated cats: Hills Science Plan Young Adult Sterilized.
- For healthy adult cats: Adult Feline Hairball Control (for furry cats, help with hair removal), Adult Feline Sensitive Skin (for cats with sensitive skin), Adult Feline Sensitive Stomach (for cats with sensitive stomachs), Adult Feline Oral Care (care for oral cavity), Indoor Cat Adult (for cats at home, weight control), Light Feline Adult with Chicken (low-calorie food), Feline Adult Chiken / Tuna / Rabbit / Lamb (food with chicken, tuna, rabbit, lamb), Senior 7+ (for older cats).
- For obese cats: Hill's Prescription Diet R / D treatment for obesity.
- For GI Disorders: Hill's Prescription Diet Low Fat / Diabet W / D, Hill's Prescription Diet I / D.
- For cats with kidney and heart disease: Hill's Prescription Diet K / D.
- For cats with allergies: Hill's Prescription Diet Z / D.
- For cats with liver disease: Hill's Prescription Diet L / D.
- For the prevention and treatment of ICD: Hill's Prescription Diet C / D.