If a cat, ignoring the tray, chooses a master's bed or other unfortunate place for a toilet, retraining it can be difficult. One of the main difficulties is the elimination of the smell of cat urine, which in itself is very persistent. Focusing on this smell, the animal again and again uses the once-chosen territory as a toilet . Often, as soon as you cross the threshold of an unfamiliar apartment, you know - a cat lives here! Few people want such harsh aromas to envelop their guests. How to remove the smell of cat urine?
First of all, you should think about eliminating the reason that causes the cat to mark the territory . The solution may be castration, the elimination of stress tormenting the animal, the reconstruction of the interior according to the cat's needs for safety ... The main thing is to find out what the problem is and solve it. Otherwise, it will be difficult to combat the smell, which is constantly updated!
Another important aspect is not to use chlorine-containing products when washing “affected” sections of the apartment. For some reason, such means are constantly used when washing toilets, but bleaching only enhances the smell of urine.
It is also useless to try to repel the smell by watering the place where the cat made a puddle with perfumes and deodorants, or spraying it with products like Antigadin - most of the cats are indifferent to it.
In addition, it is important to know for which surfaces which odor control is suitable.
Cat odor removers that are always at hand:
- The remedy that has become the salvation for many cat owners is vodka. Only in this case you need to take it not inside! Almost any surface can be cleaned with undiluted vodka, and it removes cat's aromas remarkably. The only negative is that the alcoholic spirit from the apartment will then have to be taken out separately, that is, to wash all objects a second time. Vodka is especially good at fighting fresh "crimes."
- Another wonderful option is potassium permanganate. It is required to prepare a cool solution and wash the desecrated area with it. The main thing is to make sure that there is no precipitate in the solution - it is the insoluble crystals that leave spots. It is better not to experiment with potassium permanganate on tissues.
- Reliable cat odor eliminator is citric acid. It is necessary to dilute the juice from one lemon with 200 ml of water. You can use undiluted juice, if the surface is not too "sensitive". Acid perfectly breaks down the elements that make up cat urine, and the remaining citrus smell also scares the cat away from this place. By the way, sometimes it’s enough to put in a problem place a piece of cloth saturated with the smell of lemon so that the cat stops going there for natural needs.
- Ordinary vinegar is one of the leaders in the fight against the "cat spirit". As a rule, it is bred in a proportion of one to three. If the furniture upholstery is damaged, the solution can be poured into a spray bottle and sprayed onto a stain, and then patted with a rag. To enhance the effect, after processing with vinegar, you can additionally use the method with baking soda, described below.
- At the "crime scene" left by the cat, especially if it is fresh, you need to pour baking soda and pour 3% hydrogen peroxide solution on top. At first, when the reaction goes, it will smell like ammonia, but then this smell will disappear. It is recommended to leave the soda mixture overnight, and rinse this place properly in the morning. Keep in mind that soda can leave stains on the tissues.
There is a large selection of products specifically designed to destroy the smell of cat urine. They are sold both in the form of a spray and in the form of granules. Many breeders recommend, for example, Nature's Miracle and DUFTAPET products that reliably eliminate unpleasant “aromas” . Before using professional products, it is important to carefully read the instructions for use, since they operate on the basis of enzymes and they take some time to completely eliminate the smell.
It is important! If the cat does not just meet its natural needs, but marks the territory, it will not be easy to cope with the smell without products containing enzymes.
It is important to wash the cat tray from time to time, since it can also be a source of odors, and the cat will not like to go to the dirty, foul-smelling toilet.
Be sure to eliminate the reason why the animal violates your rules. You need to retrain a cat without swearing and screaming, and even more so, you don’t need to poke her nose with her nose into a perfect “crime” - usually this gives the opposite effect.
We hope our tips will help you remove the smell of cat urine. And remember: it is better to prevent such situations than wasting time and energy to deal with the consequences.
The author of the article: Oleynikova Alyona, an artist and lover of cats, especially for our site
Video version of the article: