The kitten brings warmth and comfort to the house. How wonderful when a fluffy lump meets you at the door! But the joy of its appearance is often overshadowed by scratches and bites on the hands of the owners. A little kitten does not know how to behave with people, so do not blame him. In this article, we will give some tips on how to wean a kitten to bite and scratch.
Trying to understand the causes of behavior
The character is laid in childhood, and if you do not wean your pet from the bad habits in infancy, then you definitely will not retrain an adult animal:
- Maybe your cat is just scared? You bring a kitten to a new house, squeeze it, stroke it. And for him, such attention is not only unexpected, but also frightening. Therefore, claws and teeth are used. What to do? It is necessary to eliminate the cause of fear. Leave the kitten alone, give it time to get used to and get comfortable. When he realizes that there is no reason to be afraid, he will stop scratching.
- Aggression can be instinctive, associated with a violation of personal space. Often the fault is with other animals. A cage with a bird hanging in one of the rooms can irritate the cat so much that it will scratch and bite the owner. It is just an instinct. In the case of this type of aggression, you should not keep the bird (or other obvious irritant) and the cat in the same apartment.
- Sometimes a cat can scratch or bite too much during the game. She doesn’t want to hurt you at all, she just doesn’t know that you can’t do this. First of all, you need to buy toys. You can throw them, drag them on a string. The hunting instinct of the animal will be satisfied, and your hands will remain safe and sound.
- A little kitten attacks the feet of the owners, and they are touched. Some time passes, and an adult cat repeats the same trick. Once you did not stop this behavior, so the cat sincerely does not understand why you are no longer happy. When a cat aggressively attacks you, you can spray it with water from a spray bottle. Repeat this several times and she will stop doing this.
- If the cat begins to scratch or bite, you can also clap your hands. A sharp and loud sound will serve as a kind of limiter and the animal will understand that it is doing wrong.
- If the cat still bites you, you can not abruptly pull your hand away. So the prey does - twitches and tries to escape. It’s best not to move or even move your bitten hand towards the cat. She will let you go at a loss.
- A domestic cat can become aggressive due to lack of movement. For a cat, constantly living in four walls, the owner sometimes becomes the object of hunting. There is only one way out - you need to offer the cat active games, for example, make her run after the toy on a string so that she does not have the strength to bite you. Or try to accustom to a scratching post .
- Cats have a very delicate sense of smell, so any kind of smell can cause aggression. You can bring them into the house, for example, on clothes. The cat smells a threat to its territory and can become aggressive. At the pet store you can purchase a special spray and process some places in your apartment. These smells will calm the cat.
- The cat should have its own personal space in which it will feel safe. It does not matter what it will be - a special house or box. Sometimes you just need to make the cat a place where she can relax, and she will become much calmer.
- A good way to wean a cat to hurt you is to ignore it. If the cat began to bite you painfully, you just need to get up and leave. She will understand that with such behavior she is not given attention, and will cease to attack.
If you have the idea of a radical solution to the problem - the removal of claws surgically (onihectomy), then drive away such flashing thoughts ! In many countries, such an operation is prohibited, we, unfortunately, do not.
If you have your own tips on how to wean a kitten to bite and scratch, then write in the comments. Perhaps your experience will help someone!
Remember that a cat is a living creature for which you are responsible. In no case should one beat and offend her; one must be patient and establish contact. This is the key to understanding with your cat.
We recommend reading our review of silicone anti-scratch pads , this can help in the case of an adult animal.
Video version of the article: