A burning question for many cat owners is how to make a cat drink more water. The owners of those animals that have had episodes of urolithiasis and those whose animals eat full-dry dry foods are especially worried.
Water-electrolyte imbalance is a dangerous condition for any living creature. Water deficiency affects the whole body as a whole, and the load on the kidneys increases. On dry feed, the animal should consume three times as much water as the feed.
Cats are fellow drinkers. This is due to the fact that cat ancestors came to us from arid regions, where during the evolution they adapted to be content with less water.
In addition, the cat practically does not sweat and may include a “reserve”, concentrating urine. Because of this, almost all cats are genetically prone to ICD.
In the wild, cats never drink stagnant water, only flowing water - because of this, a cat can ignore a carefully placed saucer with water. But when someone in the house opens the tap, the pet rushes to the watering hole and aggressively tries to lick the trickle. Many pets climb into the owner’s mugs or even drink from the toilet, shocking their owners a lot.
But progress does not stand still, and now there is an excellent solution to such a problem as low water consumption - automatic drinking bowls or drinking fountains for cats!
The liquid in such a drinker continuously and silently circulates, is purified, passing through the filter, and saturated with oxygen. Your cat will always have clean and cool water.
Despite a fairly wide selection of shapes and materials, almost all automatic drinkers have the same structure:
- the body of the device is divided into two parts - the place of water outlet, which is either located on a raised platform or is made in the form of a faucet,
- pool where water accumulates,
- replaceable filter
- a motor pump that makes water circulate; has a power supply that plugs into an outlet.
There are filterless drinkers, for example, the German Lucky Kitty.
The leader among the materials from which such devices are made is undoubtedly plastic. But also porcelain, ceramics, stainless steel are used.
- Plastic drinkers are cheaper, but they are less stable and harder to clean.
- Plastic drinkers are not recommended for animals with episodes of acne.
The main functions of the filter:
- purify water from lime impurities (tap water abounds with them),
- saturate it with oxygen
- trap dust and wool that can get into the drinking bowl.
As a rule, charcoal filters are used in drinking bowls, which must be replaced once a month and sold separately.
Rules for the care of the drinking fountain
- Before first use, all parts in contact with water must be thoroughly rinsed with a mild detergent.
- Do not place the drinker in a passageway and close to electrical appliances.
- Do not use tap or boiled water, preferably bottled.
- The water in the drinker must be changed at least 1 time per week and rinsed its parts, including the filter and pump.
- Do not pour hot water or other liquids into the drinker.
- From time to time, do not forget to add water, even if you have one single cat. Water tends to evaporate.
- Do not plug the drinker into the network if there is no water in it!
How to choose a drinker
- First, decide on the size. If you have several animals, it makes sense to purchase a larger drinker.
- Decide on the material. Metal and ceramic drinkers are more stable than plastic. If your cat is an “electric broom”, it can easily turn over an unstable fountain, and several animals can arrange a small brawl in the immediate vicinity.
- Make sure that replacement filters for your drinker are on sale, preferably in several stores.
An automatic drinking fountain is perhaps the most useful modern device for pets, and I can assure you from my own experience - it's worth the money.
Video experiment (in English): what drinker will a cat choose?